The Red Meat Profit Partnership (RMPP) is improving the way that information and knowledge is shared among farmers to support best practice in the sheep and beef sector and drive sustainable productivity improvements to deliver higher on-farm profitability.
Hear from farmers, our Board Chair and General Manager about what RMPP is doing in this video to the right.
WHY THE NEED?
What our farmers have to say
David and Sarah Smith have been part of the Extension Design Project. Watch how this project has helped in their business.
The Red Meat Sector Strategy identified three core themes that, if implemented, have the ability to improve the sector's profitability and productivity. It considered the following themes and actions to be key drivers for a successful sector.
|Core Strategy Themes||High Level Activities|
|Coordinated in-market behaviour||
- Creating a strong brand position in premium markets
- Acting with scale through greater coordination of exports in target markets
|Efficient & aligned procurement||
- Shifting the focus of competition from the 'farm gate' to offshore competitors
- Ensuring suppliers are receiving a fair and sustainable reward for their performance
- Increasing transparency of information
|Sector best practice||
- Improving productivity at all stages in the supply/value chain
- Enabling a 'single voice' to provide clear leadership
- Creating a strategy coordination group able to support sector initiatives
- Developing New Zealand's farming systems
- Selling the New Zealand story
WHAT IS THE SOLUTION?
The success of the RMPP will rely on outcomes such as:
- Better knowledge and technology transfer—in other words, finding better ways of communicating key information to farmers about improving their productivity & profitability
- An understanding of what makes top performing farmers achieve their results
- Being aware of how costs can be reduced between the farm gate and the meat processors
- Benchmarking data to allow farmers to compare how their farm businesses are performing relative to others, including the best performers
- Generating more interest in sheep and beef farming as an attractive career
- Developing and using clear and consistent messages for our markets about the high quality nutritious red meat products that New Zealand's sheep and beef farmers are producing – NZ Inc
- Developing and implementing an efficient and coordinated quality assurance (QA) system